From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2007 19:01:31 -0800
Gustav Styger wrote:

> What would rank as your most memorable concert experiences for 2007?

It was a great concert year for me.  There were two Mahler 8s by my
hometown orchestra, the National SO.  The NSO did a Beethoven 5 that
made me feel like I'd heard it for the first time.  Manfred Hoeneck,
recently named conductor of the Pittsburgh SO, guest-conducted the NSO
in a thrilling Tchaikovsky 5.  A month or so ago, Nikolai Znayder excelled
in the Beethoven VC.  Just last week I heard the Saint-Saens Organ
Symphony for the first time; the texture was markedly different from the
usual concert fare.  And I have to mention Midori doing the Bartok VC,
Heinrich Schiff doing the Shostakovich cello concerto, and, in the same
concert as the Organ Symphony, Han-na Chang doing the Elgar CC.

But my absolute best concert, by miles, occurred in the second week of
the year: Thomas Hampson doing Das Lied von der Erde, coupled with the
Adagio of Mahler 10, at Colorado MahlerFest.  The combination of one of
the world's best baritones, together with a semiprofessional but 100-percent
committed orchestra, was the stuff of magic.  For more on this very
special week in Boulder, Colorado, see:

   http://www.musicweb.uk.net/SandH/2006/Jul-Dec06/mahler_fest.htm

Mitch Friedfeld