From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 11:55:29 +0200
Some time ago a listmember asked me about a tension in the Bruckner-Dessof
relation, and I have now reoplied and thought I could post the info here
as well.

It is indeed true that from they met Bruckner and Dessof (the leader of
Wiener Philharmoniker in Bruckenrs time) were best friends.  Dessof was
a warm Bruckner supporter, who used to discuss music with Bruckner and
also introduced him to many new works, which he had never discovered in
S:t Florian.  Liszts oriatoro "S:t Elizabeth" for example, which had a
significant influence on Bruckner.  And he performed the 0th symphony and
the 1st Symphony in Linz on the 9 of may 1866, a performance Bruckner
attended, and he was reported to have been overwhelmed by a stunnign
performance.  On the early september 1872 however Bruckner sent Dessof his
new 3rd symphony (symphony nr.2).  Dessof took it up wityh his orchestra,
and returned it a few days later with the word: "Inplayable!".  (Dessof
might have been affected by Hanslicks prapaganda which started at this
time).  When Bruckner didn't give up, Dessof sent a note to him: "How
clearly do I need to say it? We are not interested in your work.  Your
composing is at best a clowns pantomime!".  Bruckner revealed his thoughts
about this in a letter which was sent from the sanatorium where he was
taken in for a nervous breakdown, to his friend Weinwurm, but wrote that
he wanted to dedicate this work to Dessof and the Wienna Philharmonic
Orchestra.  Weinwurm replied with his wonder that Bruckner wanted to do
this after such a harsh treatment.  Bruckner replied a famous letter of 19
of June something typical for his style: "If I and Dessof will never speak
to each other again, if this is the end of our friendship - you shall know
that I feel debt to him, thankful as I am for everything he has learned me
and all joy he has brought me, that I want this to be the last I have said
to him".

Mats Norrman