From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:53:22 -0500
David Cozy challenges:

>...  Could we have some examples of critics "who think and act as though
>their hyperbole constitues evidence that they are more important than they
>actually are." And so we don't just have to just take your word for it
>would you be so kind as to let us know where we might find articles--
>on-line would be great --by said hyperbolizers in which their sins are
>obvious enough that even those of us who enjoy the intellectual stimulation
>of good criticism might see them.

Well, Ms. Wong is, IMHO, not entirely wrong.

Read the New York Times music reviews and extended Sunday columns on cm for
a while.  With some honorable exceptions (Anthony Tommasini comes to mind)
they condescend to composers and generally give the impression that the
composers are gifted children but they, the critics, take the long view.
Bruckner and Mahler are frequent targets.

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University