From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 17:35:15 -0600
Jocelyn Wang wrote:

>well, for one thing, it gives me a headache.  For another, it makes a
>great many listeners wary of anything composed, say, within their or their
>parents' lifetimes, and for those who want classical standards to continue.
>Many living tonal composers have a hard time even being considered for
>programming because there is the ridiculous attitude among many music
>directors that if it's modern, it has to be tonal.  I know.  I've
>communicated with a number of such composers whose works have been
>programmed in the CCMS.

I know exactly what you mean...Haydn puts me to sleep.  Fortunately it
doesn't make me dismiss the entire classical period.

And by the way, are you really suggesting that Boulez and Carter are not
continuing classical standards.  If so, could you tell me what standards
they are not continuing?

As a composer, I find it ridiculous that just because a piece of music
gives someone a headache, they would be reluctant to program it.  Does
that mean that they think it will give everyone a headache, or that I wrote
in the hope that people would get a headache, or that music that gives a
headache should not be performed?

Karl