From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 15:23:43 -0500
Jon Johanning:

>If Len or anyone else has never experienced burn-out, I would be
interested
>in hearing about it.  Theoretically, I suppose you could prevent it
by
>judiciously limiting your exposure to your favorite music, but that
is
>awfully hard to do.

I burned out on much of the standard repertoire at a time when that
was mostly what I knew, and it took years for many pieces to become
anything like fresh for me again, and some perhaps never have.
Consequently I really do ration my exposure to favorite new
discoveries, so that this will not happen to them.  One reason for my
avid, not to say obsessive, collecting of recordings of works new to
me is  that there is always something fresh to listen to.

Jim