From:
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 23:34:05 -0800
Robert Peters wrote:

>>...  In a feature on my favourite German classical radio program someone
>>said that Beethoven himself saw the cause of his deafness in a venereal
>>disease.  Was he right?

I know of nothing in any Beethoven bio that leads to the conclusion that
Beethoven thought this.  Not long ago, chemical analysis found no traces
of any such condition, but did find evidence of lead poisoning, perhaps
from his water supply, and which those who did the analysis said probably
caused his deafness.

Mark Landson <[log in to unmask]> replied, in part:

>It's still quite possible that in Beethoven's mind, he equated his deafness
>as a punishment for some sin he committed.

I know of nothing from any Beethoven bio that confirms this, either.

Jocelyn Wang
Culver Chamber Music Series