From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 09:32:33 -0400
Sandy Choi asked...

>what is the general consensus on his recordings?

You won't get any general consensus from me, nor have I had the pleasure
to attend a live performance.  All the same, afaic, Haitnik's conducting
of Concertgebouw in the Frank Martin Cello Concerto (wi Jean Decroos on
cello) and The Four Elements is second to none (a v.  pricey Preludio
2147).  In the latter he gives an outstanding performance of what I'd guess
is an extraordinarily difficult work.  Also, I'd favour his version of the
former against even Ansermet's (Suisse Romande, Pierre Fournier on cello).
I'm not sure if praise comes any higher than that.

Bert Bailey