From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:08:14 -0500
John Smyth wrote:

>Oh, I don't know....  In fact, Argerich *does* push and pull on the
>music quite a bit.  One musician poking fun at another's idiosyncracies
>is hardly an act of evil or a measure of insecurity--as a (lesser) active
>musician I can tell you that jabs within the family are probably perceived
>as nothing more than love-bites.  Laughing at a mistake would be another
>matter.

Perhaps that is one of the problems with text, one can read in so many
things.  While one person might read it as poking fun...

While I am not a fan of his playing, for me, Wild is as informed and
gifted a pianist as one could find.  However, he does not have the name
recognition of an Argerich.  As a musician myself, I don't find such
comments as love-bites.  For me it is symptomatic of much of the judgemental
attitudes which, from my perspective, have such a negative impact on art
music.  For me, it is similar to the discussions like, was Bruch a good
composer or a great composer. I guess I don't see the point.

I don't see music as a competitive sport with winners and losers.  Basic
competence is a beginning point and there is no question in my mind about
Wild, Argerich, or Bruch.

Karl