From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 2002 17:29:27 +0200
David Wolf <[log in to unmask]>:

>Any fans of Iannis out there?

Don't count me in.  Xenakis really belongs to the 20th century ruppf
that doesn't interesten me much.  Too little connection to the tradition.
But I guess soon some doctor from a faculty of music comes out and say:
"Oh!  Look what I found!  From Wagner the music develop logically step
for step and finally ended up with Xenakis.
Blah-Blahaa-Intervalanalysis-Chalaballa-Ruppf.  Quod erat demonstrandum".

In that case I would say that in Humperdinck one can at least Hear Wagner,
and Humperdinck did it damned well.  I guess "Haensel und Gretel" is the
greatest warhorse, but there is much more.

Which is your favourite recording of "Haensel and Gretel" BTW? I have heard
interesting things about Cluytens recording, but it should long be OOP.  I
would be interested in hearing what you have to say about Humperdinck.

Mats Norrman