From:
Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 16:19:38 -0400
I wrote:

>...  Beecham is my favorite Sibelius conductor, period.  Oh, if only, if
>only he'd recorded the 3rd and the 5th and the 4 Legends, ...

and Deryk Barker asked:

>>Did he perform them? Seems to me Beecham was genearlly a man who knew his
>>limitations and avoided works he wasn't in sympathy with.  Generally, that
>>is.  If you've ever heard a Beecham Beethoven 9th...

I guess my wish was sort of paradoxical-- Beecham only performed the
3rd and 5th once each, so he obviously either didn't connect with them or
didn't feel he was the man for the job.  No...  I definitely don't wanna
hear him do B's 9th.  Did he ever record the 6th though? One thing that
threw me for a loop was in the liner notes to Barbirolli's Mahler 5 in the
new EMI packaging, they say that Beecham recorded Mahler's 9th in 1937.
Now of that I have absolutely no idea what to think.  Ever heard it?

Jon Lewis