From:
Mark Seeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 09:08:22 -0400
I posted the entire Cleveland Plain Dealer announcement written Monday June
7 under another subject heading -- below is the next days article by Donald
Rosenbuerg entitled "No Intermission In Beautiful Music."

   Tuesday, June 8, 1999

   By DONALD ROSENBERG
   PLAIN DEALER MUSIC CRITIC

   Six weeks ago, Franz Welser-Moest didn't know if he wanted the job.

   The Cleveland Orchestra was courting the Austrian conductor to become
   its music director.  But Welser-Moest was content with his post as
   music director of the Zurich Opera and guest engagements with the
   world's greatest orchestras, not to mention the occasional opportunity
   to roam through beloved mountains near his home in Lichtenstein.

   "I love my profession.  I love what I do," said a buoyant Welser-Moest
   yesterday in an interview at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel, "but there are
   other things in life.  There are moments when any good artist doubts
   himself.  These moments are very important." The moments led
   Welser-Moest to realize that if officials of the Cleveland Orchestra
   were ready to entrust him with their stellar ensemble, he had to take
   the offer seriously.  "It's the biggest challenge in my life," he
   said after signing a five-year contract.

   Welser-Moest, 38, will be the orchestra's seventh music director.
   He will succeed Christoph von Dohnanyi in 2002, when he begins devoting
   18 weeks annually to the orchestra.  He will conduct 12 subscription
   weeks each season at Severance Hall, one week each summer at Blossom
   Music Center and participate in tours and other activities.  Dohnanyi,
   who left for Paris yesterday morning, was present at the Allen Theatre
   news conference in the form of a statement read by Richard J.
   Bogomolny, president of the Musical Arts Association, the orchestra's
   parent organization.  Welser-Moest "will have my full support as he
   prepares to take over this ensemble," read Dohnanyi's statement.

   Welser-Moest and Dohnanyi appear to be members of a symphonic mutual
   admiration society.  Next month, when Dohnanyi conducts Verdi's "Un
   ballo in maschera" at the Zurich Opera, he will spend time with his
   successor discussing artistic matters, Cleveland-style.

   "I have great, great admiration and affection for him," said
   Welser-Moest, whose words emerge in a brisk flow of enthusiasm.
   "He's a very special musician and special person.  It's wonderful
   and difficult to follow such a man.  But who said that it should be
   easy all the time?"

   Thomas W. Morris, the orchestra's executive director, said the search
   was completed swiftly to ensure a seamless transition.  For the first
   time since the 1940s, the torch will pass without interruption between
   music directors at Severance Hall.  "Conductors are booked two to
   three years in advance," Morris said.  "If we went much beyond now,
   it wouldn't be possible in 2002."

   As the orchestra performs three final seasons under Dohnanyi, who
   may return regularly in an emeritus position, Bogomolny said every
   effort would be made so "Christoph has a smashing sendoff and goes
   out in a blaze of glory, which he is entitled to.  That's what the
   next three years are about: Christoph and the orchestra."

   In hiring Welser-Moest, Morris said the orchestra would be connecting
   with the next generation of conductors - a young leader who has a
   wide repertoire, is interested in education and intends to become
   part of the community.

   Welser-Moest's appointment was hailed by top managers in the music
   world.  Henry Fogel, executive director of the Chicago Symphony,
   said, "It's a terrific, terrific appointment.  We have had great
   success with him as a guest conductor.  The orchestra loves him.  The
   public loves him.  He makes great music with us." Alexander Pereira,
   director of the Zurich Opera, said Welser-Moest knew what was possible
   and what was not, musically and otherwise.  "His interpretation will
   help the audience enormously to follow and understand what he means,"
   he said on the phone from Zurich.  "At the same time, he has a great
   musical temperament and intelligence.  I think he is one of the most
   gifted musicians there is at the moment.  He also becomes better the
   longer he works with an orchestra."

   Welser-Moest said there was one thing a conductor should never lose,
   which could portend good things for Cleveland.  "Priority No. 1:
   Make great music and everything else comes afterwards." Even before he
   becomes music director, Welser-Moest will have chances to live up to his
   priority.  He will conduct concerts at Severance Hall for two weeks next
   season, three weeks during the 2000-01 season and several weeks the
   season before he becomes Cleveland's new musical boss.

Mark Seeley <[log in to unmask]>