From:
Robin Newton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 06:27:43 PDT
Jeremey McMillan wrote:

>I'm just about to turn 17.  I have a friend that thinks I am really lame
>because I chose to buy a CD featuring Beethoven's "Emporer", concerto
>instead of a rap CD. ...

I agree completely with what several others have said:  you should stick
to what you enjoy and be open to all sorts of music.

What strikes me about your message is that you say you have to play a
'modern piece' to satisfy your peers.  I'm curious to know what you mean
by modern.

I ask because I performed a concert last week of 20th century music - David
Lang, John Adams, Martyn Harry and Michael Daugherty - and there were
several people in the audience who were not especially keen on classical
music (by which I mean Beethoven, Brahms etc.) but who were absolutely
thrilled by the whole evening.

I find more and more that what people think is esoteric, difficult
contemporary music turns out to be exciting, moving, involving and
pertinent to them.

Perhaps this is why Jeremy's peers liked the modern work more, because
they feel instinctively that it is more relevant to them.

Robin Newton