From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 08:37:32 +1100
Walter Meyer wrote:

>The recording of Schnabel playing the Brahms Second figures in an old
>(1949) movie called *Letter to Three Wives*.

I know I'm nitpicking but it always irritates me in movies if someone puts
on a record and something like the slow movement of a Mozart piano concerto
is at the beginning of the side.  I know it *might* be there, but it's
unlikely.  Worse is a classical piece which has been edited to fit the film
(although I can forgive Bugs, Tom and Jerry for that).

On the subject of broken 78s, a film I saw recently reminded me of an awful
scene in The Blackboard Jungle when some classic jazz 78s (Bix Beiderbecke,
IIRC) were smashed by some unappreciative students.  Even the memory was
enough to make me shudder!

Richard Pennycuick