From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 16:59:13 GMT
I just wanted to relate the advertising that the New Mexico Symphony
Orchestra has in the local Sunday newspaper concerning an upcoming
concert featuring Santiago Rodriguez on piano.  The program consists of
Rachmaninov's 2nd Symphony, Liszt's 1st Piano Concerto, and Beethoven's
Lenore Overture Number 3.

At the top of the advertisement, in bold letters, is the come-on:  "Rach
& Roll".  That should have the crowds stampeding into the concert hall.
Of course, the adventurous programming, typical of the public's demand
for the new and interesting, won't hurt the box office receipts either.

When I read the advertisement, it had me wondering if a chamber work by the
likes of Ropartz would ever be programmed in the Albuquerque area.  In this
case, Ropartz's compositions are not "dead meat" solely because of the
recording industry.

Don Satz