From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2008 18:00:08 -0700
Donald Clarke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The University of Texas at Austin and the University of Missouri at
> Kansas City keep extensive record collections.  I donated some vinyl
> to UT-Austin; Karl Miller will be able to tell you whether any useful
> work is being done there these days, but I was very impressed when I
> subsequently visited UMKC, where they were doing audio restoration and
> whatnot.

The recording archive at the University of Texas basically died about 5
years when we got a new director.

Finding a library that is interested is difficult.  It really depends
on the contents of the collection.  As we know, most standard repertoire
is available on CD.  If the collection contains items not available on
CD, you "might" be able to interest some library, but I doubt it.  Library
of Congress still collects, but since it has all of the copyright deposit
materials, I would wager that they are only interested in non-us recordings.

Donating can be frustrating in other ways.  For example, if you were
to donate something to our library, assuming they would even consider
accepting the gift, duplicates are sold as surplus in lots of about
1,000.  The last time I was forced into doing this we sold each lot
for $10.

In short, there is not easy answer.  Libraries just aren't interested,
even in esoteric material.  Unfortunately most librarians are unaware
of what might be of value.  I know I have beaten this subject to death
before, so I will stop.

At any rate, most of my collector friends have it in their wills
that their collections will be given to friends.  There are still a few
dealers left.  I think Parnassus is closing up shop, but indeed there
is the Princeton Record Exchange, Mikrosomos and a few others.  The
market isn't totally dead...just far more selective than before.

If there are any obscure imports of less familiar repertoire, feel free
to give me a holler.

Karl