From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 01:49:50 -0400
A big package, shaped, as usual.  like a seamless cube arrived by UPS from
Berkshire a few days ago and I'm starting to enjoy some of the CD's that it
contained.  The S&H costs per CD go down with larger orders and I'd ordered
11 selections, some of them containing more than one CD.

All I want to mention now are the few I've heard.

"Kabinettstuecke mit Trompete der 'Zwanziger Jahre'" (translated as
"Entertainment Trumpet Pieces from the 1920s") featuring a suite from
Martinu's ballet "La Revue de Cuisine", Poulenc's Sonata for Horn, Trumpet
and Trombone and Casella's Serenata for Violin, Cello, Clarinet, Bassoon
and Trumpet on FSM FCD 97 219 (US$3.99)

"Clarinette a la carte" w/ Francois Benda playing the clarinet and his
sister, Denise Benda, the piano playing Ravel's "Piece en forme d'Habanera,
Debussy's "Rhapsodie" and "Petite piece", Saint-Saens' Sonata in Eb, op.
167, Bozza's Aria, Pierne's Canzonetta, Poulenc's Sonata (in memoriam
Arthur Honegger), Honegger, Sonatine, Messiaen, "Vocalise-Etude",
Francaix's Theme and Variations, and Milhaud's "Brasileira" on FSM FCD
97220 (US$2.99)

Uwe Kleindienst playing trumpet and Donald Wages, piano in Arutjunjan's
Concerto in Ab for Trumpet and Piano, Hindemith's Sonata for Trumpet and
Piano, Martinu's Sonatine for Trumpet and Piano, and Boehme's "Russian
Dance" Op. 32 on FSM FCD 20003 (US$3.99)

And "The Catalan Piano Tradition" a CD of mainly historical interest
(w/ cylinders of Albeniz playing his own works, Malats, playing works by
himself, Chopin, Liszt, and a mutilated Wagner-Liszt "Isolde's Love Death"
among other curiosities.  I liked mainly the more "modern" (1932) recording
of Frank Marshall accompanying Conchita Supervia singing Granados and
Alicia de la Rocha playing Chopin at the age of nine.  VAI/IPA 1001-VAI
(US$5.99)

So many new doors opened at so low a price!  Berkshire's new Website is
http://www.broinc.com/

Walter Meyer