From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 22:24:40 -0400
Donald Satz wrote:

>Mimi Ezust was telling us of a radio program which "explores with as much
>depth as possible all sides of music, poetry, literature, philosophy, and
>all *other* areas of interest to people just like us..."
>
>Wait a minute!  "People just like us"? I am unique; there's nobody just
>like me.  Same with everyone else, and the postings prove it.  Yes, we
>do share a common love of classical music, access to computers, and the
>ability to write.  That's about it.  We don't even agree on composers,
>conductors, and recordings - no good reason why we should either).

Just *maybe* Mimi's "us" wasn't intended to be universally inclusive.
W/out presuming to speak for her, I read the phrase to mean just like her
and others who have a natural curiosity about previously unexplored items
of what I was going to call "food for the intellect" when I realized that
the curiosity often extends to comestibles as well.

Clearly this would leave out people so content w/ what they have already
discovered, whether in music, literature, dining, or whatever, to satisfy
their interests that they do not feel the need to seek out anything new or
different.

It all depends upon what you mean by "us"!

Walter Meyer