From:
Satoshi Akima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 00:44:29 +1000
There weren't many responses to David's post.  I guess it's because there
are so many that it's hard to know where to start.  Here's my list of
bargains which I submit after giving the subject some thought.  I think
each one of these would be worth acquiring even if they were full price.

1a.  LUTOSLAWSKI: Orchestral Works Vol.  3 Naxos 8.553423 An inspired
performance of Les Espaces du Sommeil and the Third Symphony.  Polish
National Radio Symphony Orchestra/ Wit

1b.  LUTOSLAWSKI: Symphony No. 4 / Partita / Chain II.  Polish National
Radio Symphony Orchestra/ Wit.  Naxos 8.553202

These 2 performances of the Lutoslawski are as inspired as anything you
might care to compare with them.  A wonderful way of getting to know this
fascinating 20th century composer.  A must for any one who cares about 20th
century music.  The others in the series are worth checking out too.

2.  Orlando de Lassus (1532-1594): Lagrime di San Pietro Vocal Group Ars
Nova/ Bo Holten.  Naxos 8.553311

A superb performance of one of the finest works by this composer I have
heard.  This very late work is much more madrigalian and overtly emotional
than his masses and motets.

3.  Carlo Gesualdo (1560-1613): Complete Sacred Music For Five Voices/
Summerly.  Naxos 8.550742

This is one of my absolute favorite recordings by this composer.  There
are no rival recordings.  I find Gesualdo to be one the most fascinating
musical figures of all time.  Interested readers of recent discussions of
pre-Bachian composition should check this one out.  The music has a eerie,
strange, mystical quality not too dissimilar to a painting by Hieronymous
Bosch.  Jeremy Summerly says that his unworldly chromatism can border on
the bizarre but that is part of the deep fascination of this music.

4.  Orlando Gibbons (1583-1625): Consort And Keyboard Music / Songs And
Anthems/ Rose Consort of Viols with Red Byrd.  Naxos 8.550603

Glenn Gould once said that Gibbons was his favorite composer.  If that's
enough to get you interested here is a simply superb collection of his
music consisting of nice balance of anthems, consort music, and madrigals.
I doubt that this disc will suddenly make you realize what Gould was on
about but this is still a stunning disc.  The soprano on the disc, Tessa
Bonner also sings with the Tallis Scholars.  I love her use of period
English pronunciation which adds to the character of the performances.

5.  William Byrd (1543-1623): Music for Viols, Voices and Keyboard/Rose
Consort of Viols.  Naxos 8.550604

Another stunner from the same source.  This sort of thing is the very
flower of English music.  An absolute delight from first note to last.

I guess that's 5 now but other to seriously consider include:

Alfonso X El Sabio   (1221-1284): ALFONSO X: Cantigas de Santa
Maria/ Ensemble Unicorn. Naxos 8.553133

Fascinating music but also a real winner in terms of the excellent quality
of sound which thoroughly embarrasses some of the second rate full price
offerings from the majors.  Not difficult listening either, but very
immediately appealing.

J.S.  Bach Sonatas for Violin and Harpsichord Vol 1 and 2/ Naxos 8.554422
and 8.554423.  Lucy van Dael and Bob van Asperen.

Absolutely gorgeous.  I have no higher praise.

BARTOK: Violin Sonatas Nos.  1 and 2 Naxos 8.550749 Jando/ Pauk/ Berkes

Excellent music making from top rate musicians.

Silvius Leopold Weiss (1686-1750)

Lute music on Naxos by Robert Barto.  If you like J.S.  Bach you will love
this music by the leading German lutenist of Bach's time.  The similarity
to Bach is remarkable.  This music definitely deserves to be better known.

Anyway that's enough for now.  Could other people PLEASE submit their
favorite Naxos CDs, especially of rewarding little heard music.  There
are so many I am often at a loss to know where to start.  Some obscure
composers I had heard on Naxos deserve to remain so, but I am sure there
are some more hidden gems waiting to be discovered.

Satoshi Akima
Sydney, Australia