From:
Dave Mepham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 05:21:27 EDT
There are several different ventures that are licencing out the EMI back
catalogue though.  Some are good, like the HMV Own Label (okay, I am rather
biased here, I work for HMV) in the UK, which duplicates some repertoire,
but also includes lots of very good priced recordings which are otherwise
unavailable, at a good price.  Old recordings get reissued on Testament,
and Disky (in the UK) release about ten discs in a box with minimal
documentation but at an outrageously low price.

There have been reports of EMI opening up their archives for download.  I
doubt these are going to be of sufficient quality (mp3 is not CD quality),
and remastered to a high level.  However, what if they were able to produce
an almost definitive list of what licenced complete recordings they have,
to list them on a site (possibly with a short extract), and allow feedback
from customers as to what they find most interesting.  Without anyone
having to make promises, they may find an overwhelming demand for some
recording which they can then line up for proper remastering and reissue.
It'd be like being at a really good rummage sale!  Just a suggestion...

Dave