From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 09:07:03 +0000
Don Satz Said:

>...  Hartmann has been a great discovery for me.  His
>music is very well crafted with delicious melodies that always appeal to
>me.  Is his music distinctive? Not uniformly, but there are passages that
>I'm starting to recognize as possessing the Hartmann stamp.  Just listen
>to the overture to 'Liden Kirsten' - very unusual and compelling music.

I am sorry to say that I did not like the Hartmann symphonies that I have
heard.  (Not sure of the numbers as I swopped the disc).  However Re:

>My main reason for this post, aside from enthusing about Hartmann, is to
>provide some comments about the tendency of a few list members to tout the
>view that only masterpieces are worthwhile.  There are so many rewarding
>composers and works that I have encountered by being "open" to the new and
>obscure.  This has enriched my musical life and the overall quality of my
>existence.

I could not agree more with this.  The best of a minor composer (eg Reicha)
is better the worst of a major composer (eg haydn).  There are hidden gems
all over the place and some unknown masterpieces as well.  I would
encourage group members to tell of their discoveries.

Bob Draper