From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 11:36:39 PDT
Ever since I joined MCML, there has been an underlying issue of whether
film music composers should be accorded classical music composer status,
either through the style of their music or its quality.  It's a delicate
issue, but one which can be discussed politely.

The one element that to me greatly differentiates my perception of
classical music from film music is that film music is closely tied in to a
movie.  It has no need to stand on its own, and is therefore in a different
category.  I see the merit of comparing one film score to another, not
comparing a film score to classical composition which was composed to stand
by itself.  I very much enjoyed the score to "Out of Africa." However, even
now, I can't listen to it without immediately thinking of the movie.  So,
the movie score has this built-in advantage.

Objectively, I consider movie music a separate category not to be compared
with classical music.  Subjectively, I think that movie music is generally
of a lower quality/nature.

I doubt that folks like Williams roam the land promoting themselves
as great classical music composers.  Unfortunately, some listeners do
including some members of this list.  Without these written promotions,
it's unlikely that we would be hearing negative comments in response.

Getting back to Williams for a moment, I'll gladly concede that the music
for Star Wars is "perfect" for the movie.  That doesn't make it worthy to
stand alongside the masterful works of Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Britten,
et al.

Don Satz