From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 16:55:34 +1100
Some time ago, I drew attention to the re-release on CD of Paavo Berglund's
Bournemouth Symphony version of Kullervo that he recorded some years before
his Helsinki version which appeared on an EMI Matrix CD.  I prefer his
first recording, mainly because of greater attack, especially from the
brass, and the singing of the male chorus.  Along the way, I've also tried
Jorma Panula's version on Naxos, which also has much to recommend it.
There is a version conducted by Colin Davis which I've not heard.

The Bournemouth version is on EMI Double Forte (147:55) and depending
on where you live, you need to work in a CD store to understand what the
number is - Kevin, can you throw some light on how this works, please? The
fourth side of the original 2-LP set contained two rarities:  the Scene
with Cranes, and the incidental music for Swanwhite.  Regrettably, these
have not been included in the reissue.  The second CD has The Oceanides,
the first and third movements from the Karelia Suite, Suite #1 from the
Scenes Historiques, Tapiola, Finlandia and the two serenades for violin
and orchestra with Ida Haendel.  Berglund does these shorter pieces well,
although for my money, nobody's version of Tapiola approaches Beecham's -
I'd be pleased to hear if someone knows of one that does.  One drawback is
that the inset has no words for Kullervo.  Even so, two and a half hours of
Sibelius at Naxos price is well worth considering.

The notes with the LP set mentioned that Sibelius was inspired by the
Aino Symphony by the conductor Robert Kajanus, who was one of Sibelius's
champions.  A quick check in Grove reveals an interesting work list for
Kajanus, including a Kullervo.  Perhaps even now an orchestra is beavering
away recording some of it.

Richard Pennycuick