From:
Margaret Mikulska <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 2004 20:13:41 +0200
Edgar W Beach Jr wrote:

>Yes thank you, it does help.  Yet it doesn't specifically address my
>question which asked for an example.  I know now that "intellectual"
>music, in quotes or not, appeals to the mind and that there is music
>that appeals to the spirit (the soul maybe).

Every listener should turn on his/her mind when listening.  Besides,
whatever we call spirit or soul or something else is also part of the
mind.

>What I would like to know (if it can be answered): Can you or anyone
>give me a specific example of a piece of music that appeals solely to
>the mind?

But of course it depends on the listener.  The very same work can be
perceived by one listener as "appealing to the mind" (which usually
means, unfortunately, that it's a work one should know but one doesn't
enjoy) and by another, as appealing to emotions or spirit.

-Margaret Mikulska