From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 01:36:51 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>Two reissued "complete" sets have been announced which I will likely
>purchase:
>
>Dvorak String Quartets performed by the Prague String Quartet on DG 463165.
>The last time this set was issued, I was not much of a Dvorak chamber works
>fan, but times change and I'm looking forward to this well received set.

This is high on my list too.  I had a couple of the lps at one time and
they were lovely.  I adore the repertoire and am anxious to see how they
fare against the Panochca on Supraphon and the Naxos set.

>Schubert Piano Sonatas performed by Kempf on DG 463766.  I'm almost
>embarrassed to say that I've never heard any Schubert by Kempf.

You don't know what you are missing! It's lovely playing!

>Bartoli/Hogwood have recorded Handel's Rinaldo on Decca 467087.  Gardiner
>has two more Bach Cantata discs ready for distribution - 463586 & 87.

I have noticed that the Gardiner cantata set on the whole has been a dud in
the sales dept.  I have heard a couple of them, and I must say, that my old
enthusiasm for JEG is waning.  I find that Rilling, Herrewegghe and Suzuki
are producing much more interesting Bach.

Kevin