From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 08:36:03 -0500
On Wed, 1 May 2002 [log in to unmask] wrote:

>I'm not sure what you might think wouldn't pass.  Charlotte is certainly
>up for discussion, though it's rather disapponting to see her bashed so
>much.
>
>What is of concern is that your post isn't explicitly about classical
>music.  It sounds picky, I know, but it's really a pretty simple thing.
>It's one of only a couple of acid tests I can use, so that makes it hard.
>How about helping me out there?

That's why I wondered if it would pass the Dave test.

For me, it related...

    "But she firmly rejected the wet T-shirt look that
   classical violinist Vanessa-Mae adopted for her
   best-selling album cover.

   "Definitely not. There is no need," Church said of the
   look that provoked a backlash from critics who
   accused classical music marketers of "dumbing down"
   the art in pursuit of profits.

For me, the article spoke to the my own notion of "classical music" versus
the business of music. No doubt you know me pretty well by now and
are well aware of my sense of the absurd.
...after reading that article I wondered...there must be someone in the
"classical music biz" who would love to have an Entertainment Tonight
feature a story on Alfred Brendel, or some other serious artist.

Your call. By the way...I appreciate your moderation, and trust in your
perspective when it comes to that moderation.

I sincerely appreciate what you have accomplished for classical music. In
many ways I find the list to be one of the few remaining places where
classical music is discussed respectfully and with sincerity.

Karl