From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 21:20:42 -0500
Larry Sherwood wrote:

>>At first I thought Karl Miller was being condescending when he solicited
>>the thoughts of people like me for limning a direction for programming
>>of a Chamber Music.

and Karl Miller responds:

>Certainly not my intent.  I really am having trouble with this subject.

I think that you should vary the ensemble- string quartets one month,
guitar and saxophone the next.  Well not literally g and s, but something
along those lines.  The next month, a small vocal ensemble to do the
Liebeslieder, maybe some madrigals,,etc.  Mixed media are the thing, so
invite some local dancers one time to improvise to the music, or perhaps
make a more coherent collaboration.  Has this ever been done?  A couple
of imaginative dancers and a couple of good chamber musicians?  Perhaps
some jazz somewhere along the way?  The Handel and Haydn Society (Boston)
tried mixing jazz with classical in the same concert a few years ago- a
brutal mess, because it was heavy handed and didactic in intent.  and
execution.I can see it working in a more low key intimate setting.
Conclude with an evening of Xenakis and Scelsi.  Or not.

No need to thank me......

Bernard Chasan