From:
John Dalmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 11:16:35 -0400
Donald Satz wrote:

>I have quite a few recordings of Bach's organ works, but I've bought them
>in a piece-meal fashion over the years - mostly Preston, Herrick, Bowyer,
>and Fagius.
>
>I'd appreciate some recommendations of single cd's and sets of any size
>up to the "complete organ works".  How's Lionel Rogg on Harmonia Mundi?
>I recently bought a 2-cd set with Richter doing the honors for Teldec.
>How does that set compare to the Richter issues from DG?

Haven't really added to my Bach organ collection in some time, but have
been content over the years listening to recordings by Peter Hurford
(London Classics 43485), Anton Heiller (Vanguard Classics 2005) and Helmut
Walcha (DG 453064).  Walcha may be too conservative for some but I find him
very tasteful (certainly not dull, as has been said) and (a real plus!) he
wears well after repeated hearings.  Haven't heard recent Rogg or Richter.
What say you about Richter's Teldec? Has Richter settled down any?

John Dalmas