From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 12:39:27 -0400
Patrik Enander wrote:

>This might be too wide a question but here we go.  My primary reading about
>music has been various magazines, mostly Gramophone, and this eminent list.
>But I haven't read any books about music, composer biographies, memoirs
>etc.  So I want to know if you can share with me a book about music,
>irrespectively of genre, that has given you a lot of pleasure.

SOOOO GLAD YOU ASKED!  Hop over to the Classical Net website
<<http://www.classical.net/>> and you will find the beginnings of a huge
(annotated in some cases!) listing of suggested reading material.  Click
on BOOKS from the homepage, and you'll find many categories.  There is also
a convenient search engine from Amazon to use (helpful for all sorts of
information even if you do not decide to order from them).

I, for instance, typed in lots of details from the Dover Catalog, filling
in their rather sparse online descriptive offerings, so you can look
through their sheet music, scores, books about music, and so forth.  Dover
scores, miniature scores, and reductions are probably the best deal in
music books I've ever encountered.

More frosting on the cake: every time you order THROUGH the Classical Net
website Dave gets a tiny bit of benefit towards meeting the (high) cost of
his isp.  All around, a very very good deal.  I have been a satisfied
Amazon customer for quite a while now.

End of commercial.  This has been an unpaid political announcement.  Visit
your friendly www.classical.net!  You'll be glad you did.

Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>