From:
John Polifronio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 00:54:39 -0800
Most of the Everest recordings had remarkable sound when they were issued
originally as LPs.  I haven't heard the CD reissues, but they'll certainly
be quieter than the LPs; though I'd have to compare them to the LPs to say
if the CD sound is as good, on its own terms, as the originals.  As far
as interpretation is concerned, I don't know the Jorda performance of the
Falla, but I've always admired that conductor.  I've heard the Bartok,
Stravinsky and Shostakovitch recordings and thought them mediocre.  The
Goossens Rachmaninoff Symphonic Dances (issued originally on 2 LPs along
with an impressive Respighi Roman Festivals) is, I think, an outstanding
interpretation.

John P.