From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 09:02:22 +1000
Wilson Pereira:

>"La Battaglia" (DECCA Ovation 448 183-2) is a record featuring a
>collection of works by Samuel Scheidt (1587-1654), Tylman Susato
>(c1500-1561/4), William Byrd (1543-1623), Adriano Banchieri (1568-1634),
>Johann Kuhnau (1660-1722), John Jenkins (1592-1678), and G F Handel,
>performed by Philip Jones Brass Ensemble.  Apart from William Byrd and GF
>Handel, I dont know any other composer of this CD.  Any opinion about this
>recording?

With the exception of the Scheidt Battle Suite, all the pieces on this CD
are arrangements of music written for other forces.  At 23', the Byrd work,
The Battell, originally for harpsichord, takes up about a third of the
disc.  Its final movement, The Earle of Oxford's Marche, is very familiar
from Gordon Jacob's William Byrd Suite, but this arrangement, by Elgar
Howarth is, IMHO, even better, with some sizzling trumpet decoration which
I find quite thrilling.  I know some of the Susato dances from earlier
recordings by the New York Pro Musica, and David Munrow's ensembles, both
using ye sackbuts, shawms and the like; the instrumentation is at the
whim of the performers, and the music is just as effective on modern
instruments.  I haven't heard the original of the Kuhnau work, The Battle
Between David and Goliath (for organ?), nor of the superb Jenkins piece,
Newark Siege, which has nothing to do with getting through customs at the
airport.  The other pieces are short and enjoyable.  At 68:32, this CD is
highly recommendable and shows the PJBE at the top of its considerable
form.

Richard Pennycuick