From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 20:51:58 GMT
Wes Crone responds to John Grant:

>>Jarrett's WTC is near the bottom of my own personal list...
>
>I'll look into the Jarrett WTC and I'll keep in mind your opinion before I
>make the decison to buy.

I've been listening to Jarrett's Bach for a few years now and feel I have
a fairly good handle on his approach and results.  Jarrett has a particular
style which holds for Mozart and Handel as well as Bach.  He prefers a
seamless and flowing style with strong forward momentum and moderate
tempos, although I've never heard him fly through a work like Gould does.

For those Bach pieces that demand the seamless flow, Jarrett is usually
outstanding.  Pieces that demand a strong degree of edge and angularity
can present a problem.  In about half of those situations, Jarrett does
make the appropriate adjustments.  But even when he does not adjust, his
performances can be of good quality, because the momentum he provides is
very effective.

For those listeners who prefer their Bach keyboard works to be deeply
interpreted with an emphasis on angularity, Jarrett is not the person for
the job.  He's no Moroney or Leonhardt, but they lack some good traits that
Jarrett possesses.

Jarrett's French Suites is an excellent set.  His Goldberg Variations is
a good issue.  WTC I has some great performances and a few "duds".  I'm
currently reviewing his WTC II on harpsichord, and I think it will hold up
very well to the competition.  I am getting to the point where I can hear
a Bach performance (piano or harpsichord) and know it is Jarrett doing the
honors.  So, he must be at least a little distinctive.

Don Satz