From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 19:08:21 +0200
Mary Steele [[log in to unmask]] wrote:

>>Do you know any good recording of Jesus My Friend by Bach that you can
>>recommend?

Per Baeckstroem [[log in to unmask]] replied:

>I have tried to remember a piece by Bach called before translation Jesu
>meine Freund but I can't.  Could it be a mistranslation of Jesu meine
>Freude, usually translated Jesu joy of man's desire (or is that only used
>for Jesu bleibet meine Fruede?)?

I was confused by this as well, but I was once confused by the same thing
before when I saw the title "Jesu, meine Freude" misprinted to "Jesu, meine
Freunde", what would make; "Jesus, my Friends", although the BVW lists no
work with this title.  And assuming that the title actually was "Jesus,
My Friend", then the German original would be "Jesu, mein Freund".  But
my point was that there seems to be at least one misprint circulating.

But assuming that the piece in question is "Jesu, meine Freude", I suggest
The Swedish Radio Choir under Toenu Kaljuste.

Mats Norrman