From:
"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 21:45:54 GMT
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>A friend has asked for an opinion on the Colin Davis set of Schubert
>Symphonies. (RCA/BMG). Anyone care to comment?

I've four sets:

   Halasz, Failoni Orchestra, Naxos
   Goodman, Hanover Band, Nimbus
   Davis, Staatskapelle Drsden, RCA
   Wand, Cologne Radio Symphony, RCA

As a set, I think the Halasz/Failoni is my clear favorite.  The
Goodman/Hanover is also very good, and both sets are budget priced.
Performances are dynamic, somewhat more fluent and colorful, and sonics
are just about right (esp.  Naxos).

The Wand, save the Great Symphony, is a bust.  Davis received good reviews,
some even pronouncing his set the standard, but in light of the other
performances, is somewhat lackluster.  The performances aren't dull, by any
means, but the sonics are too recessed for my tastes, and too much lacking
in energy.

D. Stephen Heersink
San Francisco, California