From:
Sam Kemp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 19:57:31 +0100
Brad Leissa wrote

>Here's a bizarre case...  One Hyperion disc I owned (manufactured by PDO
>UK Ltd.) became, slowly over time, unplayable -- only the final tracks of
>the disc became unplayable.  So far nothing bizarre...  Right? Your typical
>case of bronzing.  YET, there was absolutely *NO* visible bronzing present
>on the CD. PDO UK Ltd.  replaced the discs and thankfully the new ones
>play perfectly through all tracks.  Subclinical bronzing or demonic
>possession? You choose.

I have a CD of Mendelssohn's 3rd and 4th symphonies and "Fingal's Cave",
which is the last track.  I don't have a clue who the disc manufacturer
is: all I can see is that it's on the Sony label, and was made in Austria.
There is no visible bronzing, yet this last track has become practically
unplayable.....but only on some CD players.  Ironically, on an older CD
player, the CD plays with some fuzz but no skip to the bitter end; on a
newer one, it has given up the ghost by 12 minutes in!  I could never
explain this, and resorted to an old cassette which thankfully I did not
throw out when it became redundant (I thought!) on the purchase of the CD.

Sam Kemp