From:
Michael Lehrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 21:44:47 -0700
Walter Meyer wrote:

>Bernard Chasan wrote:
>
>>I recommend the Reinhold Goebel performance for small ensemble and the
>>wonderful Scherchen arrangement for orchestra.  The latter is available
>>from Berkshire ar a ridiculously low price!!!
>
>But it would be hard to order from their catalog w/out knowing the label.
>Could you tell us?

I am aware of two Sherchen recordings, both on TAHRA, one from 1949, and
another taken in 1963 in Toronto.  The 1949 version is paired with the
Schoenberg concerto, and the Toronto is filled (from the beginning) with
the rehearsal's excerpts.  I ordered my 1963 version from M&A about a year
ago, when they where running a TAHRA sale.  The cost was $18 for the set.
I believe, the sale is over, but just few days ago I saw it at the Tower
bargain outlet for about the same $18.  I have not heard the 1949 version,
but suspect that the Toronto is a better deal.  It is very well played and
recorded, and the solo hps.  parts are played by Kenneth Gilbert just
wonderfully.

ML