From:
Donald Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:19:45 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>I do agree with Steve that liking the HIP approach mainly due to historical
>accuracy has little to recommend it.  Before I heard any period instrument
>performances of baroque music, I was not satisfied.  With the advent of
>HIP, the music took on a new life for me and was illuminating.  Accuracy
>had nothing to do with my conclusions.

Maybe I'm thick, Don, but I'd still like to know what you mean here.
I asked:

>>You weren't satisfied, but then you were?  If the accuracy had nothing
>>to do with it, what was it then?

And you answered:

>It was reduced vibrato from strings and voices, sharper phrasing, greater
>emphasis on brass and woodwinds, cleaner textures w/enhanced dialogue,
>and the appeal of being able to place myself in the era of the composition.

We could have had these qualities from a modern orchestra (no doubt
reduced in size).  If this is what you mean, I quite agree. But perhaps
I should have asked what you meant by 'accuracy'.  Playing that is merely
accurate, whether on old instruments or new ones, can be as dead as the
cod on the fishmonger's slab!

Donald