From:
Eric Kisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 18:24:38 -0400
If Naxos ever releases the 1942 Met Don Giovanni with Walter conducting,
Pinza, Kipnis, Bampton, Novotna and Biu Sayao, DO NOT MISS.  This
performance has been available I think via Myto and other reissue labels
and is the one by which I judge any others.  For those who want great
singing and great characterization, personality and style, this is the ONE.
Pinza is the perfect seducer, and he does it by wooing his prey, not by
blustering.  Bampton as Donna Anna is so enraged in "Orsai che l'onore"
that you wonder if it was only attempted rape/seduction.  Sayao is melting
as Zerlina, a not so naive as you would like to believe little peasant
lass.  And on and on.  They just don't make 'em like that no more.

Eric