From:
Alan Dudley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 15:03:45 +1000
Bob Kasenchak:

>IIRC (yup--I checked) Kronos Qt has a version of "Purple Haze" out, on
>Nonesuch 79111.  Can't say that I've heard it, though.

I have it (my copy is numbered 7559-79111-2), but I'm doubtful about
commenting.  Every reference to the Kronos Quartet that I've read on this
list has been in similar terms as references to Andrew Lloyd Webber - "no
one with any sense has any good to say about these no-hopers".  I have not,
however, heard much to back up this attitude.  What did they do to set
every hand against them? However...

"Purple Haze" is not for me.  At best interesting colours in a shapeless
pastiche going nowhere.  At worst, dull and boring.  Only three minutes
but...

I enjoy the Sallinen and the Nancarrow, and, lacking other versions to
compare them with, can't imagine them done any better.  In my opinion the
Glass is better than the Hendrix.  I make a very poor critic, finding
things to appreciate and very little to complain about in most music.

I bought it for the Sculthorpe String Quartet No 8, which I would recommend
to anyone, after warning that he is Australian too, and Australians are a
chauvinistic mob.

Alan Dudley