From:
Dan Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 14:00:03 -0400
Tom Warren wrote:

>No one has mentioned Keith Lockhart for the position.  He's a few
>years older than that Austrian kid who's getting the nod, and he
>seems to have earned his dues.  It seems to me that it's the next
>step up from leading the Pops.

I have no particular opinion on Lockhart either, but here's his bio,
excerpted from <http://www.bso.org/newdesign/staff/lockhart.htm>:

   Born in Poughkeepsie, New York, in November 1959, Keith Lockhart
   began his musical studies with piano lessons at the age of seven and
   holds degrees from Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina,
   and Carnegie-Mellon University in Pittsburgh.  In Pittsburgh he served
   as Director of Orchestral Activities at Carnegie-Mellon and Conductor
   of the Pittsburgh Civic Orchestra.  In 1988, while retaining those
   posts, he accepted an appointment as Assistant Conductor of the Akron
   Symphony Orchestra and Conductor of the Akron Youth Symphony.  In
   1989 Mr. Lockhart became one of two Conducting Fellows of the Los
   Angeles Philharmonic Institute.  The following year, he moved to
   Cincinnati as Assistant Conductor of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra.
   Beginning with the 1992-93 season, Keith Lockhart served as Associate
   Conductor of both the Cincinnati Symphony and Cincinnati Pops
   orchestras, while also becoming Music Director of the Cincinnati
   Chamber Orchestra, a title which he still holds.  In January 1998,
   Mr. Lockhart was appointed Music Director of the Utah Symphony,
   effective with the 1998-1999 season.  He studied piano with John Noel
   Roberts, Gwendolyn Stevens, and Maria-Regina Seidlhofer of the Vienna
   Hochschule.  His training as a conductor includes study with Istvan
   Jaray, Otto-Werner Mueller, Harold Farberman, and Werner Torkanowsky.

   Prior to his Boston Pops debut in June 1993, Mr. Lockhart served
   as conductor for a tour by vocalist Mandy Patinkin and made his
   commercial recording debut as the conductor of "Christmas Songs," a
   Telarc release with Mel Torme accompanied by the Cincinnati Sinfonietta.
   As a guest artist, Mr. Lockhart has conducted the Chicago Symphony
   Orchestra, the Los Angeles Philharmonic, the Minnesota Orchestra,
   the Montreal Symphony, the Toronto Symphony, the Cleveland Orchestra,
   and the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra.  Notable recent engagements
   include his first major opera production, Douglas Moore's "The Ballad
   of Baby Doe," with the Washington (DC) Opera, the Cincinnati Chamber
   Orchestra's New York debut at Town Hall, and guest conducting debuts
   with the Singapore Symphony, National Arts Center Orchestra, New
   England Conservatory Orchestra, St. Paul Chamber Orchestra, Dallas
   Symphony and Philadelphia Orchestra, as well as appearances with the
   Utah Symphony.  In the summer of 1997, Mr. Lockhart made his debut
   with the New York Philharmonic, leading a series of concerts throughout
   the city, including Central Park.  Upcoming engagements include debuts
   with the San Francisco Symphony this coming summer and the Houston
   Symphony next season.

Dan Schmidt -> [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]