From:
Donald Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 19:50:16 -0500
Beethoven was one of the greatest geniuses of all time in any of the
arts; if all we had was the string quartets, we could go to a desert
island. He wrote happy ("unbuttoned") music when his personal life was
a turmoil, and transcendently probing music when he personally was doing
rather well.  He should be an example to us all as a craftsman, just to
start with; the rest is inexplicable, and cause for gratitude.

D. Clarke