From:
Virginia Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 13:52:50 +0100
I sang in the 'Northern [England] liturgical premiere' of the Mass in
the Dorian Mode a few years ago.  I enjoyed the piece though I was amused
by the combination of Renaissance style with expression markings which
preserved the performance practice of Howells' own day - lots of changes
of tempo and dynamic swells.

Which Nunc is on the disc?  Howells set the text at least 20 times,
usually as a partner to the Magnificat.  Is it the early Nunc Dimittis
for double unaccompanied choir?  I sang that a few months ago - it was
new to me.  It made a nice change from the Holst Nunc Dimittis when you
need a partner to a Mag which doesn't come with its own Nunc, though I
prefer the Holst when all's said and done.

Any listers who are around Salisbury this coming weekend (8-10th) or
Southwell the following one (16-17th) might like to know I'm singing
services in the respective Cathedrals there.

Virginia Knight
Personal homepage: http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/~ggvhk/virginia.html