From:
Christine Labroche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 20:58:44 +0100
Steve Schwartz:

>>The *fact* of the inclusion of a cadenza has no psychological meaning
>>at all.  The cadenza itself may.

Exactly.

Robert Peters:

>I disagree. A cadenza can be (and I say can be) a totally vain act of
>showing off virtuosity.  Classical music can turn into a circus act (just
>think of some of the stuff by Paganini).  Thus the inclusion of a cadenza
>has a pretty big psychological meaning [...]

Even if so, would it really matter?  Cadenzas can be so beautiful, and
they always have one wonderful advantage which is that they allow us to
hear the sound of the instrument solo.  When I appreciate the concerto,
it is an additional joy.

Do you think it is rationally possible to generalize about such things?

Regards,

Christine Labroche