From:
"Robert M. Stumpf II" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 10:17:45 -0400
David Stewart writes:

>This brings up an interesting point.  I have always wondered how someone
>with no musical knowledge or 'education' can listen to a large structure
>of say the first movement of Brahms first piano concerto (24 minutes or
>something?) or the first movement of Mahler 3 without getting completely
>lost.

Then answers his own question.

>Only experience can really teach you to 'appreciate' though.  Hours upon
>hours of listening to things that you don't understand until it clicks - I
>don't think I really get the nuances of ANY CM piece until I have listened
>to it 3 or so times.

I listen and listen and listen and listen.  I read commentaries about the
music.  I listen some more.  I make notes.  I listen some more.

Peace,
bob stumpf
http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/maestrno/