From:
Richard Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 16:46:21 -0400
Dave Lampson reports:

>The latest entries in National Recording Registry at the Library
>of Congress ...
>
>There's spoken word and rare jazz performances, as well as a few classical
>recordings I thought some list members might find interesting:
>
>"Messiah," Eugene Ormandy, conductor; Richard Condie, choir
>director; Mormon Tabernacle Choir; Philadelphia Orchestra  (1958)

Golly, I would have thought that someone would have sought out all
existing copies long ago and dropped them in the ocean.  I remember that
if you wanted a domestic Messiah in the late, buy-American fifties, your
choice was between Ormandy and Bernstein.  I was very unamerican and
bought the Scherchen recording on Westminster when it became available.
On the basis of that recording I'd speculate that Scherchen was a pioneer
of acid-tripping.

Richard Todd