From:
Gerardo Constantini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 11:54:30 -0500
Wes wrote:

>Gerardo Constantini wrote:
>
>>A question for Bach admirers(like me): Why Bach took so much material from
>>Vivaldi to make  a wonderful transcriptions?.
>
>Simple answer, really: Bach LOVED Vivaldi's music.  Now let me make a point
>here that I always want to say to those Vivaldi lovers who claim that Bach
>was nothing without Vivaldi.  Bach was his own composer.  Sure, he had is
>influences (name someone who truly didn't) but he had a very unique voice.
>I once heard Gil Shaham say that Vivaldi was the greatest composer who ever
>lived. ...

Well,to complete the idea:  For me, Bach is the master of masters, but i
am a profound admirer of Vivaldi music too.  I think one of the problems
of Antonio Vivaldi, is he was commisioned to write many compositions,
sometimes from one day to the next one,and i think it make him sometimes
to use a kind of a "cliche" sometimes.  And in general context, Bach was
the person who make the perfect balance between earth and heaven,and his
music (despite how simple he pretended to compose),always sound
transcendental(with a unique exception for me:  "Cappriccio sulla
lontananza del frattello diletissimo").Vivaldi was a different kind of
musician,and his goals were different.  Bach qualitiies sometimes could be
find in Tomaso Albinoni as an example.Of course the "little" difference is
Albinoni wrote few works at this level.  Best:

Gerardo:.