From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 21:06:46 PDT
Norman Schwartz wrote:

>I can't help wondering whether or not the music in question was ever
>heard in performance at live concert(s).  If not, I think judgements
>might be reserved until after a live experience.

I think not.  The best music is like love-making.  I knew both were great
long before I experienced a "live" performance.

Norman has taken the "live is better" theme to another level.  I could
entertain this premise for an opera or ballet, but not other genres.

>The best recordings heard on the best audio systems don't come anywhere
>near revealing all the nuances and grandiosity to be heard
>in live performance.  At best they are just "shadows" of the real
>thing.

Even the best concerts give me cramped space, noises from others,
and frankly, a human grouping I'd prefer to not be part of.  For me,
concentration on music at a concert does not have a remote chance of
taking place.  So, some of us PREFER and BETTER APPRECIATE music through
recordings.  And, remember - "only the shadow knows".

Don Satz