From:
Robert Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 22:40:16 +0100
Ron Chaplin schrieb:

>Robert,
>
>Great quotes.

Thank you. It is fun to see how the idea spreads and that other guys and
dolls also send quotations. The aim is to show the wonder of music in
tiny little fragments, some absurd, some profound, some profane.

>I hope this isn't too much off topic.  I am an American Civil War buff,
>especially the Battle of Gettysburg.  Recently, reading Gettysburg by
>Stephen W.  Sears, I read the following.  The quote refers to the panic
>in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania as the Confederate army approached west bank
>of the Susquehanna River in, I believe, June, 1863.  ...
>
>The author of this quote was Louis Moreau Gottschalk.  The description
>reminds me of his music.

Great quotation. It reminds me of the ending of the first movement of
Beethovens 9th, conducted by Furtwangler.

Robert