From:
Alex Soteros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 19:15:57 -0400
I would think that most Requiems which are based on the Catholic "Mass for
the Dead" would have at least one "Dies irae" - Gabriel Faure's is the most
notable exception.  The one which is included in a Requiem that I feel is
the most dramatic is Hans Werner Henze's - it contains a virulent mixture
of trumpet, strings, thunderous drums and whips.

For those musical pieces which are based on the mediaeval plainchant the
most dramatic would be Berlioz' Witches' Sabbath from the "Symphonie
Fantastique" or Saint-Saens' "Danse Macabre".

If you want to wallow in the "Dies irae" spend Halloween listening to
Sergei Rachmaninov.  He seems to get the plainchant into all of his pieces
somewhere - most nakedly the "Symphonic Dances", "The Isle of the Dead",
and "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini".

Regards ...Alex Soteros
Toronto