From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 12:07:07 PDT
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>I confess I prefer Brahms's Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Handel in
>Edmund Rubbra's orchestration.

Steve, say it isn't so!!  The Handel Variations is my favorite solo piano
work of the romantic era, closely followed by the Brahms ballades.  For me,
an orchestra could only ruin the inherent flavor of the work.

In fact, I like the piece so much that I've told my wife I want it played
at my funeral.  Steve is welcome to attend my funeral, but please don't
bring an orchestra or even a string quartet.

Don Satz