From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 16:29:07 PDT
DG recently issued a disc of Mikhail Pletnev playing a few works on
Rachmaninov's Steinway.  The works include the Variations on a Theme of
Corelli, four etudes-tableaux, Beethoven's "Les Adieux", Chopin's Grande
Polonaise, and the Rondo capriccioso and the Andante cantabile e Presto
agitato by Mendelssohn.

I didn't get the disc because of the piano used, but because of Pletnev and
the repertoire on the disc.  As it turns out, the piano sound is superb -
rich and clear.

The main reason for my post concerns the Corelli Variations.  I never
listened to it before and am finding it very enjoyable.  My question
concerns alternative versions.  Have any list members heard the
Pletnev/Corelli Variations, and how does it compare to other versions?

Don Satz